|Describe your favorite city/ Describe a city you have visited.
You should say:
And explain what influence did the city have on you.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of living in a big city?
- What changes have you observed in your city in past 5 years?
- Name some good tourist spots in your city?
- Why do you think living in your city is a good choice?
Possible answer the above speaking cue cards
Sydney is my most favorite city among the cities I have visited. Sydney is the state capital of New South Wales of Australia. This city is situated in the bank of Tasman Sea and has around 4.6 million people. I have visited this city in 2008, after I finished my graduation and loved my stay there. Sydney had many attractive natural area, botanic garden, parks, and high rising buildings. This city has many heritage listed building that attracts the tourists and visitors. The Sydney Opera House is one of the most recognized landmarks in Australia and is a great place to visit.
This city is known for the dynamic cultural hub and it has many famous museum, galleries and art galleries as well. Because of the great architecture, warm weather and hundreds of tourists attraction more than 11 million international and domestic tourists visit this city each year. I had been there for about 15 days and I really enjoyed everything about this city. I stayed at a 20 storied hotel that offered a really amusing sight views. The transportation system of the city is better than many other cities and I could have been maintaining the track and time of my schedules because of that. I loved being at open & wide spaces in the gardens and parks. People are welcoming and friendly there. A tourist can get plenty of helps both from people and the authority and can roam easily without any interruption. I saw 2/3 art museum and some cultural festivals and those were awesome.
There are so many places to be, so many things to do in Sydney. Some of the attractive places are: Royal Botanic Garden, Hyde Park, Queen Victoria Building, Sydney Town hall, Macquarie Lighthouse, Australia Square, Sydney Opera House and many more.
I had a tremendous vacation in Sydney and I liked most of the places there and I enjoyed so much that I did not even notice how quickly the 2 weeks scheduled time has passed.
How to answer this cue card topic
Talk about any city that you have really been to and tell the details of this city as well as your experience of this visit. Do not just talk about any random city that you have never been to as this might arise question to the examiner’s mind. If you have not been to a foreign country ever, talk about any city in your country.
Mention the following points to make a good answer for your cue card
- Name of the city & country it is in.
- If there are more than one city with the same name (which might be the case in many countries) clearly state which one you have visited.
- Give the reason of your visit (Travel, visiting someone, tour, business visit etc.)
- Who was with you?
- When you planned to visit this city and when you actually visited it.
- If you have visited this city more than once, try to describe your latest visit experience there as that would give more accurate information of this city.
- Things to watch, do and other activity of this city. Famous places of this city and tradition of this city.
- Mention your attachment and liking of this city. Give reason why you like this city.
If the topic is “Your favorite city”, you should slightly change the way of speaking about this topic. Start by saying that this is a city that offers many recreations, tourists’ activity and your memory regarding this city. Also mention the historical and traditional culture of this city and why it is a good city to visit and stay.
Related IELTS Resources
Take a practice test to find out what is your current weakness in terms of IELTS scale and allow more time to improve your weak spots. The following IELTS resources will help you to develop your skills faster: